How to complain

If you disagree with a decision made by the Agency regarding your SU, you can file a complaint.

Please send your complaint to the Agency via Digital Post on and write "Klage til Ankenævnet for Statens Uddannelsesstøtteordninger" in the subject field. We must have received the complaint no later than four weeks from the day you received our decision.

Decisions made by Ankenævnet for Statens Uddannelsesstøtteordninger (the Danish Educational Support Appeal Board) are final and cannot be appealed. Read more about the Appeal Board at their website (in danish).