SU - in short

Every Dane over the age of 18 is entitled to public support for his or her further education - regardless of social standing

The support is awarded by the State Educational Grant and Loan Scheme ("SU" and "SU-lån"), a system managed by the Danish Agency for Higher Education and Science (Uddannelses- og Forskningsstyrelsen) in collaboration with the educational institutions and under the auspices of the Ministry of Higher Education and Science.

The State Educational Grant and Loan Scheme

Grant and Loans amounts

If you are a foreign citizen, you must fulfil specific conditions in order to be granted equal status with Danish citizens and receive SU.

Rules and application procedure

When you haven been granted the equal right status

You should always contact the Danish Agency for Higher Education and Science when certain changes happens.

Changes to your circumstances

The Danish state educational support (SU) can be awarded for a study period abroad if the Danish educational institution accepts the study period abroad as part of the current Danish study programme.

Study period abroad

There are certain rules when you have a student job and at the same time receive SU. You can only earn a fixed amount per year. The set amount is called "fribeløb".

Rules regarding employment and private earnings

You have to pay tax when you receive SU. The tax is automatically taken from your payment every month.

Tax cards and income